Saturday, August 16, 2008

Zucchini Flowers

We picked up these beautiful zuchinni flowers at the Farmer's Market this morning:

These are female squash blossoms. They form at the end of the buds that grow into a squash. The male blossoms appear at the end of thin stems and can be harvested without curtailing production of the squash. The male blossoms are larger and better if you're going to stuff them. I've never seen the male blossoms at our Farmer's Market. They're pretty hard to get unless you have your own garden. Since I don't think John is going to turn our foredeck into a zuchinni garden anytime soon, I will continue to be happy when we find female blossoms.




The baby zuchinni takes longer to cook than the flowers, so I cut them off and sliced them lengthwise. Dredge the squash & flowers in flour and then egg. Fry in olive oil. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.





They are so yummy!



1 comment:

Sarah said...

Heehee! I made these last night for dinner! We had the male blossoms though from our Farmer's Market. Our neighbor two doors down has a GIANT plant in their front yard, covered in blossoms. I almost stole them in the dark of night because god put food on the trees for the poor [to read: hungry] people.