I received an e-mail from my dad a couple of days ago that said if I was thinking about making a strawberry-rhubarb pie, he had some rhubarb. Yeah, sure Dad, that's just what I've been thinking - I don't think I've made a rhubarb pie in thirty years. I told Dad that of course I would make him a pie, that I would pick up some strawberries from the Farmer's Market and he could bring me his rhubarb. Dad got the rhubarb from his neighbor, Lorraine. She has the most incredible garden
squirreled away behind the parking structure of their apartment complex.
So dad brings me his rhubarb - I am expecting beautiful long, red stalks of rhubarb and he delivers this:

Now I'm not sure if Lorraine peeled the rhubarb, or maybe it wasn't ripe, but I have never seen rhubarb like this before. Strawberry-Rhubarb pie is made with uncooked rhubarb and this had obviously already been cooked - BUT I promised Dad I would bake him a pie so this is what I did. First I made the pie dough. My Grandma Parson taught me how to make pies and
every time I roll out a pie crust I think of her. I truly feel her standing next to me guiding me along the way. While the pie dough was chilling, I drained the rhubarb in a sieve, added quartered strawberries, sugar and a little cornstarch to thicken the juices. Here's what they looked like before I added the top crust:

Dad didn't want a big pie because it would go to waste, so I made three little pies. He was kind enough to share one with Lorraine. I assembled the pies, brushed them with milk and sprinkled them with a little sugar. Here's one before being popped into the oven:

And here's the finished product:

A couple of hours after Dad picked up the pies I received this e-mail:
Dear Daughter:
Scrumptious!!!I I fainted twice from ecstasy. The crust was just like my mother used to bake.
A blue ribbon effort......thank you
Love from your father
Dad, I'll make you a pie anytime!
No comments:
Post a Comment