September 2006, Sarah & Jeff joined us at Catalina Island. One night, at anchor in White's Harbor, Jeff asked if I had pizza making ingredients
on board and would I give him a pizza making lesson. But, of course...


Well, Jeff has turned out to be an incredible pizza maker, far surpassing his teacher. He has researched the
Internet, experimented with different flours, different toppings and perfected his pizza as far as he can take it in a home oven. So now, he's going to build a wood-burning pizza oven in his backyard! I can't tell you how jealous I am. In his research, Jeff discovered
tipo 00 flour, an Italian flour that is milled very fine, and using it made a huge improvement in our pizzas.
A couple of days ago, Jeff sent me a picture of a pizza he made topped with shrimp. It looked so delicious (and Sarah confirmed it was) that it inspired me to try making one.
Tonight I tried a new
recipe using the
tipo 00 pizza flour that Jeff gave me. I used shrimp
sauteed in garlic,
fontina cheese, goat cheese and green heirloom zebra tomatoes. The lighting in the picture is off, so the pizza doesn't look very brown, but it was crispy & delicious. It was John & Bobby's favorite of the three that I made. Thanks Jeff, for the inspiration. Don't even ask how I ended up with a square pizza.

I also made one with sausage-

and with
prosciutto -
4 comments:
I've never had a sqaure pizza I didn't like. The blog looks great but I wish I read it before dinner, now I'm hungry again.
They all look wonderful!
Welcome to the Blogosphere! We can't wait for "Taste of the Galley 2008" in September.
What a great blog! Now I am starving and can't wait to come visit again and try some of this fabulous food!
Post a Comment