I had read a lot about brining, but had never tried it. Well, after tasting this brined chicken - I am a convert! It was the juiciest, most delicious roast chicken we have ever tasted. Although, to be fair, I can't give all the credit to the brine because I did buy a free-range, organic chicken from Gelsons and I do think that makes a big difference. This recipe was another from Thomas Keller's Bouchon Cookbook.
Roast Chicken with a Ragout of Wild Mushrooms
The brine is made by adding salt, honey, bay leaves, garlic cloves, peppercorns, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprigs, parsley and lemon to water. Bring to a boil and let cool completely before adding the chicken.before cooking. Refrigerate the chicken in the brine for 6 hours; rinse and dry the chicken before cooking.
Truss the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a 450 degree oven.
Saute about a pound of mushrooms (wild mushrooms weren't available so I used cremini and oyster) in oil, then add butter, shallots, fresh thyme and salt and pepper. Stir in a little chicken jus (a flavored and reduced chicken stock).
Ladle some chicken jus onto each serving plate and arrange the mushrooms in the center. Place 2 pieces of chicken over the mushrooms on each plate and garnish with a sprig of parsley and a sprinkling of fleur de sel.
2 comments:
So free-range chickens really do taste better? I hope so, since I just put in an order for some. I'm also looking around online to find a semi-local place to get grass-fed beef. You'd think there would be more cattle farms in the south.
If you can get your hands on some country eggs, do it! I won't even sniff at grocery store eggs these days.
Small culinary world. The Bouchon brine is currently operational in my kitchen as well. I did a duck (brine overnight) over indirect heat on the Weber, with light smoke (hickory chips). Be sure to use a basin with water to keep moist and catch the duckfat.
Ummm....duck.
Post a Comment