"Guazzetti are sauces made by slowly simmering meat, game or poultry in stock, creating a velvety texture that coats pasta wonderfully" - Lidia Bastianich Lidia's Family Table.
Oh boy, this was the perfect dinner for the rainy day we had on Saturday. I browned large chunks of pork shoulder in a little olive oil and then removed the meat from the pan. Next I rendered finely diced pancetta to the hot pan for a couple of minutes and then added finely chopped onions, celery and carrot and cooked for another 5 minutes. Added a little tomato paste, red wine and the pork and cooked until the wine was almost evaporated.
I covered the meat with chicken broth and braised it in the oven (you could do it on the stove top) for a couple of hours. When the meat is tender shred the meat into the sauce.
While the meat was cooking I made homemade pasta and a couple of loaves of rustic bread- back to serious diets on Monday!
This was one of the best sauces I have ever tasted. I think I'll make ravioli with some of the leftovers.
No comments:
Post a Comment