Sunday, October 12, 2008

Beefy Lentil Soup

Today was a cold, blustery day - perfect for a hearty soup. I love the addition of beef in this soup, but you could certainly leave it out for a vegetarian version.I started by browning cubes of beef chuck in olive oil over medium heat. Remove the meat and add chopped celery, chopped carrots, chopped onions, chopped garlic, fresh thyme and dried oregano. Saute for about 10 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add beef broth (for a vegetarian version use vegetable broth or water) and canned roasted tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about an hour or until the meat is tender. Add the lentils, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper, stir in some parsley and top with a little grated Parmesan cheese.
Really warms your cockles on a chilly fall day!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was just thinking how cold my cockles are.