Inspired by the pizza at Viansa Winery last weekend, I decided to try their recipe using quite a bit of olive oil. I usually make the dough the night before and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight, but we were just having too much fun this weekend and I didn't get around to it. (Pictures of excuses posted below).
I topped the dough with fresh mozzarella, fresh sliced tomatoes (drizzled with olive oil and sea salt), a little parmigian0 and fresh basil.
I preheated the baking stone on the floor of the oven at 500 degrees for an hour before baking for about 10 minutes.
It was delicious and crispy, but this is what I'll do different next time - I'll top the dough with a little bit of tomato sauce before adding the toppings and because the bottom got especially crispy (I think because of the extra olive oil) I'll bake on the bottom shelf instead of the floor of the oven.
These are a few of my excuses for not making the pizza dough in advance this weekend:
Friday night instead of Bocce we had movie night. Jeri hung a sail from the side of the office and showed Fool's God.
Dave & Mark still managed to get in a game of Bocce:
I was there for Jeri & Joe's delicious popcorn:
John kept getting shushed for talking during the movie, so Mary Lou & Will joined us on Poseidon so we could continue to visit and let the rest of the gang enjoy the film in peace.
Saturday morning after a trip to the farmer's market with Curtis & Bonnie we took our dinghies to the boat launch ramp to watch the start of the Kinetic Sculpture Race.
The entries must be human powered, navigate the launch ramp, take a lap thru the marina, make a beach landing, power through a mud pit and race through a lively figure-eight race! It's a very fun charity event - cheating and bribing the judges is encouraged. Here are a few of the entrants navigating the fog that rolled in at the beginning of the race:


No, Mike & Linda weren't in the race, they opted instead for a tow to the Poseidon for a Bloody Mary break.
After the race, my dad, step-brother Paul (visiting from Orange) and his kids came by for a visit and dinghy ride:
Our very sweet niece Malia and nephew Colin:
1 comment:
The trip to Viansa convinced me that we are just using too much dough. I made mine with 4 oz dough balls and rolled them with a lot of flour to around 11-12 inches. Almost as thin as the Carasau. It cooked in around 4 minutes and was perfect for a light lunch for 1 person. That cook time was nice because I could put the basil on at the beginning without it wilting. Also have your cheese at room temperature so it melts enough. I feel like we need to remake pizza for everyone we've served it the last 2 years. Linda, lets start with each other.
Post a Comment