I got a new cookbook this week, Thomas Keller's ad hoc at home. I had pre-ordered the book about six months ago, so it was a great surprise when it arrived. It is an absolutely beautiful book that I highly recommend. This recipe is pictured on the back cover and the first that I tried. Here is my version:
I'm embarrassed to admit that I had to throw away my first batch of poached eggs! It may be hard to believe, but I have never poached an egg before - definitely a skill I will be working on.
Start by making croutons - trim the crust off some rustic bread and tear into irregular pieces, about 1 inch. Put canola oil, butter and whole, crushed garlic cloves in a large skillet over low heat. Spread the bread in a single layer in the pan. Cook until the croutons are crisp and golden brown on all sides, about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Next, poach eggs - bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Prepare an ice bath. Add a couple of tablespoons of white wine vinegar to the boiling water and reduce to a simmer. With a wooden spoon, stir the water at the edges of the pan in a circular motion to get the water moving, then add the eggs, one at a time, to the center of the pan and simmer gently until the white is set but the yolk is still runny. With a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to the ice bath.
Grill the asparagus - drizzle the asparagus with canola oil and salt & pepper. Grill for 1 ½ to 2 minutes per side, or until tender. Arrange on a platter.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a simmer. Trim any uneven edges from the poached eggs. Lower the eggs into the simmering water for about 30 seconds, just to reheat. Remove with a slotted spoon and blot the bottoms with paper towels. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and arrange around the asparagus.
Arrange thin slices of prosciutto and the croutons on the platter. Drizzle the salad with olive and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I had to throw away my first batch of poached eggs! It may be hard to believe, but I have never poached an egg before - definitely a skill I will be working on.
Start by making croutons - trim the crust off some rustic bread and tear into irregular pieces, about 1 inch. Put canola oil, butter and whole, crushed garlic cloves in a large skillet over low heat. Spread the bread in a single layer in the pan. Cook until the croutons are crisp and golden brown on all sides, about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Next, poach eggs - bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Prepare an ice bath. Add a couple of tablespoons of white wine vinegar to the boiling water and reduce to a simmer. With a wooden spoon, stir the water at the edges of the pan in a circular motion to get the water moving, then add the eggs, one at a time, to the center of the pan and simmer gently until the white is set but the yolk is still runny. With a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to the ice bath.
Grill the asparagus - drizzle the asparagus with canola oil and salt & pepper. Grill for 1 ½ to 2 minutes per side, or until tender. Arrange on a platter.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a simmer. Trim any uneven edges from the poached eggs. Lower the eggs into the simmering water for about 30 seconds, just to reheat. Remove with a slotted spoon and blot the bottoms with paper towels. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and arrange around the asparagus.
Arrange thin slices of prosciutto and the croutons on the platter. Drizzle the salad with olive and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
No comments:
Post a Comment