I have been having trouble finding dried porcini mushrooms, so I was delighted with this score from Corti Bros. Italian Market in Sacramento. I usually pay about $8.00 per ounce, Corti Bros. had this 16 oz bag for $74 - what a deal! 
Excited to finally have porcini again (and lots of it!) I decided to make a Sunday night porcini dinner - Mushroom Ravioli and Pan-Seared Rib-Eye Steaks with Porcini Rub. To use the porcini they must be reconstituted by pouring boiling water over them and let to stand until softened, about 20 minutes. The filling was made with cremini mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, the reconstituted porcini, white part of a leek, garlic and salt pulsed in a food processor until finely minced. I cooked the mixture in a non-stick skillet with butter for about 10 minutes and then transferred to a bowl. When the mixture was cool I added Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and salt & pepper. After I rolled out fresh pasta dough and cut into 2-inch circles, I put a small amount of filling in the center of each circle, folded them in half and sealed the edges. I attempted to form into tortellini (on the right) but gave up and made half-moon raviolis. I think I'm going to need a demo to get the right technique for tortellini.
The steak was marinated in soy sauce, in a plastic bag, for 2 hours at room temperature. I made the rub by grinding some dried porcini to a fine powder in a coffee grinder/spice mill. Mix the porcini with finely chopped rosemary or thyme and black pepper. Pat the steaks dry and sprinkle the rub generously over both sides of the steak, pressing to adhere. Cook the steaks in a heavy skillet with olive oil until browned and cooked to desired doneness - I cooked for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the steaks to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm, and let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into thick slices and serve. While the steaks were resting I cooked the ravioli. In a separate skillet I browned some butter, added julienned basil and then tossed in the ravioli and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Delicious!! The ravioli were incredible, the pasta was so light and the mushroom filling so rich and flavorful.
And the steaks - John said it was the best steak he had ever eaten - but of course he has been a diet and not eating a lot of red meat lately! We will get Sarah & Jeff's opinion when they come down in a few weeks and we try this recipe out on them.
Excited to finally have porcini again (and lots of it!) I decided to make a Sunday night porcini dinner - Mushroom Ravioli and Pan-Seared Rib-Eye Steaks with Porcini Rub. To use the porcini they must be reconstituted by pouring boiling water over them and let to stand until softened, about 20 minutes. The filling was made with cremini mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, the reconstituted porcini, white part of a leek, garlic and salt pulsed in a food processor until finely minced. I cooked the mixture in a non-stick skillet with butter for about 10 minutes and then transferred to a bowl. When the mixture was cool I added Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and salt & pepper. After I rolled out fresh pasta dough and cut into 2-inch circles, I put a small amount of filling in the center of each circle, folded them in half and sealed the edges. I attempted to form into tortellini (on the right) but gave up and made half-moon raviolis. I think I'm going to need a demo to get the right technique for tortellini.
2 comments:
How'd you pay for the mushrooms? ;)
Ha! It was the last place I used my card.
Post a Comment