Sunday, September 21, 2008

Roasted Salmon Fillets with Red Wine Sauce

Meet our friends Jack and Curt:And their lovely wives - here are Curt and Carolyn: And Jack and Carol:

Oh, and one more cute pic of Jack and Carol:

John has been fortunate enough to make a couple of trips to Alaska with Jack & Curt to fish for salmon and halibut. He couldn't make it this year, but Curt was kind enough to bring us a couple of pieces of salmon.

So, tonight it's salmon for dinner, thanks Curt.
Start by brushing salmon fillets with melted butter, sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. To make the sauce, saute shallots and garlic in butter, stir in a little chopped tomato, add red wine (I used a pinot noir) and simmer until reduced by half about 15 minutes. Roast the salmon in a 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile finish the sauce by straining into a clean saucepan over low heat and whisk in more butter and season with more salt and pepper. Serve the salmon on top of mashed potatoes. Drizzle a little sauce on top of the salmon and around the potatoes.

I'm not sure what the funny white stuff is in the picture, maybe a reflection from the flash - I need a new camera (hint, hint)!
Anyway, this dish was absolutely delicious. John is not usually a big fan of salmon, but he loved this! I am sure that Curt will want to take most of the credit for the salmon being so good, but I insist he share some of the success with me.

No comments: