Tuesday, September 30, 2008

CAT Harbor-Cinnamon Rolls

After a few days at White's Anchorage we moved to the back side of the island to Catalina Harbor (CAT). We were happy to join Bonnie & Curtis and Nancy & Bill.

Our friends agreed to be guinea pigs for a cinnamon roll experiment using my grape starter.

My recipe started by creaming together sugar, salt, baker's milk and shortening, then mixing in eggs. I stirred in the starter, flour and a little yeast, covered the dough and let it rest for a couple of hours. Next, I rolled out the dough into a rectangle (14x12 inches), sprinkled with a sugar and cinnamon mixture and raisins, then rolled into a log. I cut the roll into large (about 1 3/4 inches thick) pieces, placed them on a parchment lined sheet pan and refrigerated overnight. I woke up at 4:00 am to take the buns out to proof and then went right back to bed. They proofed for 4 hours before I popped them in the oven for about 25 minutes:

After cooling for a few minutes I drizzled the buns with a powdered sugar and milk mixture:


Great island breakfast:Tastes even better with good friends and mimosas:

No comments: