My sister Laura was overworked and dealing with more than her fair share of health issues. I called her for several days trying to convince her to come out and join us in Catalina and relax for a few days. I texted her pictures showing her how calm it was and that her tendency towards seasickness would not be an issue.
No wind and flat seas I told her. I think this picture might have sealed the deal:
She agreed it sounded like a great idea and booked her ticket on the express boat.
Her trip didn't get off to the best of starts. Even though she allowed four hours for the 1 1/2 hour drive to Long Beach, it wasn't enough, there was an accident on the freeway and she missed the boat. Luckily she was able to catch another boat and only arrived an hour later than planned. Bad news was that the calm seas I promised had turned into small craft advisories by the time Laura made the crossing.
Here is a picture of Laura in Catalina in 1962. Notice the seaplane at the end of the pleasure pier:
And here she is fifty years later:
Turns out she had some undiagnosed health issues that were worse than we thought. The combination of those issues, sloppy seas and affects from sea sick patches culminated in a night time visit to Avalon's emergency room. Nothing like special sister bonding on a Friday night in an island hospital. Laura often manages unplanned side trips on her vacations that no one else gets to experience (like the police station in Paris!)
But as always my sister was a trooper and still managed to enjoy parts of her vacation. Like playing cribbage:
Walking around town:
A brave attempt to lunch at Steve's Steakhouse:
And an exciting dinghy ride:
Laura - Thanks for joining us and being such a good sport. We promise that our future vacations together will be on terra firma.




1 comment:
Terrible luck! But I love her pic with her arms out. Classic.
Post a Comment