Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lobster Pasta

We had just sat down to dinner when we heard a knock on the cockpit door.  It was our neighbor Jimmy, aka Son of Scallop Guy, and he handed us a live lobster he had caught off of Anacapa Island earlier in the day.  Ten minutes earlier and that lobster would have joined our steak on the BBQ.  But I'm glad we waited because the next day I decided to make a Lobster Pasta, a fun alternative to grilled lobster.

First I made a half batch of homemade pasta (1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 1/4 cups 00 flour):


I removed the lobster meat from this beautiful tail, cut it into small chunks and sauteed for a couple of minutes in olive oil and chopped garlic:
I removed the lobster from the pan and added 1/2 cup of white wine.  When the wine was almost evaporated I added these beautiful heirloom tomatoes that I had peeled and chopped and seasoned with salt:

I simmered the tomatoes for about 20 minutes while I put a large pan of salted water on to boil.  I cooked the fresh pasta for about 3 minutes and stirred into the tomato sauce with a little of the pasta water.  Plated the pasta and topped with the lobster pieces and chopped parsley:


I know I've said this before, but ... I love my neighborhood!!! Thanks Jim & Jimmy for one of the sweetest and most delicious lobster we have ever tasted.

1 comment:

sarah saint said...

Oh, I have got to figure out how to make fresh wheat-free pasta. Also how to procure fresh lobster in Mississippi. Our grocery stores have live ones, but I suspect they've been around long enough to pick up the accent.