Monday, June 27, 2011

What to Feed a Triathlete?

Our good friend Lynne participated in the Breath of Life Triathlon in Ventura this weekend and placed 2nd in her class! Congratulations Lynne - you were awesome.
Lynne competed in the Olympic course - 1.5K swim, 40K bike ride and a 10k run. I was out on the street to cheer Lynne on and as she ran by she yelled out "I can't wait for lunch!" I like to believe that the promise of lunch aboard Poseidon after the race inspired Lynne to swim, pedal and run faster!
I don't know if nutritionists and athletes would agree with my post-race menu, but this is what I served:

Fresh Heirloom Tomato Pasta:

To make the pasta, chop a variety of fresh heirloom tomatoes, add chopped garlic, chopped basil and dress with olive oil & a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.  Boil spaghetti, drain and mix with the tomato mixture.  Doesn't get much easier or fresher than that.

And for dessert - Grilled Nectarines with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream and a warm Raspberry, Blackberry & Blueberry Sauce - summer on a plate:

No comments: