John and I were finally lucky enough (through a relative of a friend - thanks both to Katie & Linda!) to get a reservation. Even luckier were Sarah & Jeff because the only reservation we could get was a table for four, so we asked them to join us.
I couldn't believe that after years of trying to get a reservation we were finally about to walk through the famous "Blue Door" :
When we were seated we found a card at our table addressed to Mr. & Mrs. Andreotti. It was a Happy Anniversary greeting (18 years!!) from our dear friends Frankie & Carrie. The card was accompanied by a beautiful bottle of champagne-
Pol Roger "Extra Cuvee de Reserve" Champagne
The meal is a set Chef's Tasting Menu but there are a few choices to be made. Our head waiter discussed the menu with us, we made our decisions on the menu choices, discussed wine options with the sommelier and we were ready to begin.
Two amuse-bouche were brought to the table, the first was GOUGERES-a savory pate a choux stuffed with Gruyère cheese and sauce Mornay:
And the second was Thomas Keller's famous CORNETS - Line caught Scottish Salmon with chives and a red onion crème fraîche on a sesame cone:
We had a choice for our first course - "OYSTERS AND PEARLS" - Sabayon of Pearl Tapioca with Treasure Cove Oysters and White Sturgeon Caviar:
or -CREME FRAICHE-BUCKWHEAT TART-Red Onion Marmalade, Black Pepper and Tsar Imperial Ossetra Caviar:
Sarah & Jeff ordered the "Oyster & Pearls" and John ordered the Buckwheat Tart and Caviar. This was a tough choice for me. I had read so much about the "Oysters & Pearls" and really wanted to try it but then again when would I ever have the chance to try Imperial caviar, among the rarest in the world? Our waiter gave me a "duh look" and I ordered the Imperial Caviar. It was heaven, and with the champagne - out of this world! And then to top it off Sarah shared her "Oysters & Pearls" with me so I got to try both.
Here is one of three or four bread courses (this is the only one I got a picture of) that we were served along with a couple of different butters and three different salts:
We had another choice for the next course, either MOULARD DUCK "FOIE GRAS EN TERRINE"-with Poached Rhubarb, Celery, Piedmont Hazelnuts, Red Ribbon Sorrel and Black Winter Truffle - this was John's and my choice. This was by far the creamiest foie gras I have ever tasted - incredible.
Wine Pairing - Chateau Rieussec, 1er Cru Classe, Sauternes, Bordeaux 1989
Served with warm Brioche Toast. An example of how amazing the service was - halfway through our foie gras a waiter came to our table, removed our toast and replaced it with fresh, warm brioche!
Sarah and Jeff chose the CHANTERELLE MUSHROOM VELOUTE - with Stinging Nettle Custard, Sunchokes and Oxalis. This was Sarah's favorite dish.
Wine Pairing -D'Oliveira, Sercial, "Reserva" Madeira 1969
We had another choice for the next course - SAUTEED FILLET OF SPANISH LUBINA with Eggplant, Piquillo Peppers, Preserved Lemon and Artichoke-Saffron "Nuage". Sarah, John & I chose this perfectly cooked fish, crispy on the outside and meltingly tender inside.
Wine Pairing - Do Ferreiro, Albarino, Rias Baixas 2008
Jeff chose the TARTARE OF EARSHELL CLAM with Blood Orange, Sea Beans, Cauliflower, Spicy Peanuts, Cilantro and Madras Curry Yogurt.
Wine Pairing - Christian Moreau, Vaillons" 1er Cru, Chablis, Burgandy 2007
Our next course was SWEET BUTTER-POACHED MAINE LOBSTER TAIL with Beets, Horseradish Dumplings, Farm Brussels Sprouts and "Borscht" Reduction. I have made this lobster recipe from the French Laundry Cookbook and John said mine was every bit as good as this - ha! what a sweet talker. I'll have to check to see if the cookbook has the horseradish dumpling recipe - so yummy!
Wine Pairing - Chateau Rayas, Chateuneuf-du-Pape Blanc, Rhone Valley 2006
BLACK TRUFFLE LARDED MARCHO FARM "RIS DE VEAU" - Veal Sweetbreads with soft Scrambled Jidori Hen Eggs, "Pain de Campagne Croutons", Asparagus and Petite Lettuces. We had another choice for this course and this time it was an easy choice for me. I have never tasted sweetbreads and figured if I was ever going to try them this would be the time. I was a little worried about this dish, afraid of the texture, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. (Sorry about the quality of the picture, it was really beautiful).
Wine Pairing - Clos Rougerad "Les Poyeux" Saumur-Champigny, Loire Valley 2005
Jeff decided on the chicken, but I didn't get a picture (too bad because it was a beautiful presentation). I must have been sidetracked because of my concern about the sweetbreads! FOUR STORY HILL FARM "POULARDE" with Akita Komachi Rice, Green Garlic, Kanzuri, Carrot-Snow Peas Salad and "Sauce Japonaise".
Wine Pairing - Dehlinger, Pinot Noir, "Goldridge Vineyard", Russian River Valley 2007
The next course was my favorite, I had never tasted such tender, melt in your mouth lamb. Almost makes me want to splurge and buy a sous-vide machine (just kidding John!). ELYSIAN FIELDS FARM LAMB SADDLE-cooked sous-vide with Pole Bean "Cassolet", San Marzano Tomate Compote, "Petit Sale" and Dijon Mustard.
Wine Pairing - Livio Sassetti, Brunello di Montalcino, "Pertimali" Tuscany 2005 - Jeff actually clapped his hands with glee at the mention of this wine!
On to the cheese course, not too much and not too intense, it was the perfect transition to dessert. ANDANTE DAIRY "NOCTURNES" with Brown Butter "Pain Perdu", Fennel, Sour Michigan Cherries and Creamy Pine Nut Vinaigrette.
Wine Pairing - Philippe Foreau, Demi Sec, "Domaine du Clos Naudin", Vouvray, Loire Valley 2006
Our first dessert course was WHITE VERJUS SORBET with Muscat "Gelee", Green Grapes and Marcona Almonds. You might be wondering how I dealt with all of the dishes that included nuts. I called the restaurant a couple of days before our reservation and told them about my two food allergies - rosemary and nuts. When our head waiter first greeted us he asked which of us had the food allergies and told me that would not be a problem and not to let the nuts listed on the menu influence my choices. He said they would make changes to any dish that included nuts. Very accommodating!!
Wine Pairing - Saracco, Moscato d'Asti, Piedmont 2009
We had a choice for our next dessert course the LEMONGRASS "CREMEUX" with Sicilian Pistachio, Lemon "Granite" Shiso and Granny Smith Apple Sorbet that John, Sarah and I had or --
Wine Pairing - Disznoko, Tokaji Aszu, 6 Puttonyos, Tokaj 2000
..Jeffs choice, the "DELICE AU CHOCOLATE A LA MENTHE" with Crispy "Feuilletine", Mast Brothers Cocoa Nibs, Brown Cardamon and French Laundry Garden Mint Ice Cream.
Thinking the meal was over, John & Jeff ordered espressos. Look at these adorable cups & saucers:
But no, dessert was not over yet. When these were delivered J&J said they wouldn't have ordered an espresso if they knew they were going to be served a cappuccino. But this wasn't coffee, but another dessert and French Laundry signature dish "Coffee & Doughnuts" - Cinnamon-Sugared Doughnuts and "Cappuccino Semifreddo". Oh, was this ever delicious, I have to try making this at home.
Next, a waiter brought two trays of these delicious truffles, I wish I could remember what the six different fillings were, but by now I was pretty much in a food & wine stupor.
And in case we got hungry on our walk back to the hotel (only a few steps away) - Delicious, buttery, shortbread cookies to go!
Well, it was quite an experience and especially fun to share with Sarah & Jeff. I was a little bit afraid that the meal couldn't live up to our high expectations, but it was even better than we had imagined. The service was incredibly efficient, but not stuffy, and the wine pairings were perfect. When we finally stumbled back out through the blue door and into the courtyard I noticed a row of windows that looked into the kitchen. We walked over to peek inside and a guy came out and asked if we would like to come inside and tour the kitchen. Are you kidding me???? Would I ever!! What a treat, the perfect ending to a perfect afternoon.
John walking in the French Laundry Garden:





















1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your experience at the French Laundry. Nick and I were there not too long ago, but only to see the outside and walk through the garden. Your picture display and naration made us feel like we were there with you - simple elegant. Happy 18th Anniversary John and Linda!
Nick and Jennie Fisher
Post a Comment