Saturday, August 15, 2009

N.I.C.K. Rendezvous

Our marina and sister marina in Channel Islands Harbor host a picnic at Prisoner's Harbor on Santa Cruz Island every year. Here are some of the participants at the N.I.C.K. (Nautically Inclined Cruisers Kick-off) Rendezvous last month: Our grandsons Sonny & Matthew were visiting from Sacramento so we took them, along with my dad, out to the islands for a long weekend.
Sonny ran out of gas in the dinghy and was left to his own devices to return to Poseidon (too bad he didn't know he only needed to change a hose to the other fuel tank!):Our neighbor Bug (he let his dad, Jeff, join him) came over to swim and jump off the top of the boat with boys:Sonny:Bug:
Dad gave the boys poker lessons:

And yes, if they made stupid bets he would take their money:

Sonny & Matthew also kept themselves amused playing chess, although they did make up their rules. I heard a lot of "I'll trade you one of my horses for one of your castles":Sonny fighting what he was hoping was a halibut. Darn another ray:
After two rolly nights at Prisoner's Harbor we moved to the other side of the island. We found calm seas at Yellowbanks Anchorage and the boys were able to do a lot of kayaking:






Oops!

Back at the marina Sonny & Matthew did a little fishing from the dock:



I was practicing an ahi appetizer for the cooking show. When Sonny saw the raw fish he asked for a bite and discovered he loves sashimi! The two of us polished off all the ahi I had bought, so the next day we headed back to the seafood store for more. And did we ever luck out - fresh Santa Barbara shrimp!!


They went straight on the bbq with some olive oil and garlic. What a delicious dinner:


We had a great visit and are looking forward to having you back again next summer:




No comments: