When I became a member of the Andreotti family I was introduced to a whole new world of food. Meals at Mama’s included vegetables that in the past I claimed not to like, but not wanting to be rude I would sample everything on my plate. Surprised, I found everything I tasted was delicious! Each time I asked Mama how she prepared a particular dish, she would say, “first you start with olive oil and garlic.” Aha! I learned my first lesson in Italian cooking - no wonder everything tasted so good.
Making this cookbook with Mama was a wonderful experience for me. Because of the countless hours we spent together in the kitchen, sometimes with friends and family joining in but often just the two of us, I learned a lot about my mother-in-law, her family and much about her son, my husband. Cooking different dishes would bring back special memories that she would share with me as we prepared them together. I feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to have the hands-on experience of making all of these recipes with Mama. There are some directions that just cannot be written down - you have to feel and smell them. Some techniques also take a lot of practice, pasta making for instance - Mama would have me do it over and over and over again, until finally she proclaimed, “That’s it, you’ve got it!” That is something you cannot learn from a book.
When John and I were cruising in Mexico aboard Poseidon our main method of communication with Mama was by e-mail. Often my message would begin, “I cooked such-and-such today and it made me think about you.” That was Mama’s main reason for this cookbook, so that family and friends would always be able to prepare their favorite “Mama Recipe” and that when they did, it would bring back special memories of Mama.
Linda Andreotti
November 2000
Making this cookbook with Mama was a wonderful experience for me. Because of the countless hours we spent together in the kitchen, sometimes with friends and family joining in but often just the two of us, I learned a lot about my mother-in-law, her family and much about her son, my husband. Cooking different dishes would bring back special memories that she would share with me as we prepared them together. I feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to have the hands-on experience of making all of these recipes with Mama. There are some directions that just cannot be written down - you have to feel and smell them. Some techniques also take a lot of practice, pasta making for instance - Mama would have me do it over and over and over again, until finally she proclaimed, “That’s it, you’ve got it!” That is something you cannot learn from a book.
When John and I were cruising in Mexico aboard Poseidon our main method of communication with Mama was by e-mail. Often my message would begin, “I cooked such-and-such today and it made me think about you.” That was Mama’s main reason for this cookbook, so that family and friends would always be able to prepare their favorite “Mama Recipe” and that when they did, it would bring back special memories of Mama.
Linda Andreotti
November 2000
And this is the message she wrote in our copy of her cookbook:

1 comment:
Thank you for making that book. It will will be passed down for generations along with stories of Mama. What a life she had.
Post a Comment